City Hall


For your convenience, City Hall is now accepting credit and debit cards for Utility and other payments owed the City of Stroud.
You may bring the payment form of your choice to City Hall (a drop box is located on the West brick wall ) or pay online or by phone.

New Utility Payment Portal

Click this picture for the new payment portal for utility payments. Opens in new window


City utility services include electric, water, sewer and trash. To open an account you will need to take photo ID to city hall, fill out a contract for service and make a deposit.

It is also possible to have your bill paid automatically from your checking account or to set up averaged monthly payments if you have been a customer for a year.

Who to Contact

For billing inquiries or disputes, new service requests, cancellation of service requests, report water leaks, sewer problems, electric outages, and street needs, please contact us at (918) 968-2571. For after-hour services to report main water lines breaks or major sewer issues, please call the non-emergency number of the Police Department at (918) 968-2733.

Additional Services

See the Fee Schedule (PDF) for a summary of prices at City Hall including Building Permits, Business Licenses and Cemetery fees.