Animal Shelter & Pet Regulations
The City of Stroud has a NEW animal shelter that generally houses dogs. We are working with Cimarron Valley Humane Society and a few other rescues to help in adoptions and rescues. In the future, we plan to become a no kill shelter and need your help to do so.
Lost and Found dogs may also be on this Facebook page.
If you are interested in adopting one of the animals, you must agree to comply with the following terms of adoption.
- To pay adoption fee of $15.00 to the City of Stroud .
- Must pay the deposit of $10.00 for the Oklahoma Animal Sterilization act to spay/neuter the dogs. (You will be returned the deposit once proof of sterilization is brought in.)
- You must have the animal vaccinated within 3 days of adoption by a licensed veterinarian per city ordinance and state law. (Failure to do so may result in fines of $130.00 for each separate offense.) Once that is done you must show proof of vaccination at city hall and purchase a city tag for $10.00 (if residing in the municipal boundaries).
- To accept the animal AS IS and not hold the City of Stroud liable for any illness or behavioral problems that the animal may have or develop.
Animal control ordinance of June 2015 includes:
Find the full text of the ordinance (PDF).
A kennel license is required if owning 6 or more intact male and/or female animals for the use of breeding or dealing in animals for direct or indirect sale or for exchange in return for consideration. Kennel license and pet tags expire on June 30.
- Dog tags are $10
- Tags are prorated by quarter
- Replacement tags are 50 cents
- Kennel license $500